Thursday 21 June 2007

Mutter Pilau / Pilau Rice with Peas


Ingredients
1 stick cinnamon, 3 cloves, 3 cardomom pods
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large onion; chopped fine
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into fours
3 plum tomatoes; peeled and liquidised
1 tspn garlic paste
1 tspn grated ginger
2 green chillis; minced
1 tblspn yogurt
2 tspn ground cumin/coriander mix
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 cups basmati rice; washed and soaked in water
1/2 cup fresh / frozen peas
3 cups water


Method

1. Heat the oil, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, let them pop.
2. Add the onions and fry until they are a rich golden brown.
3. Add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and chilli pastes, cook for about 10 minutes, and then add the coriander, cumin and tumeric powders, stir for a couple of minutes.
4. add the yogurt and cook for a a few minutes until it is blended with the tomatoes and onions
5. Add the rice, potatoes and peas, stir and the water.
Cook for 20 minutes, stir at about 10 minutes to mix the peas and rice.


14 comments:

FH said...

Delicious! I am glad you are posting authentic dishes.Yummy!:))

Richa said...

wow! that looks finger licking good! my rice never cooks thru if i add the tomato at the beginning, why is that? am i missing anything? what kind of tomatoes do u use, if i may ask?
thanks

Suganya said...

Pulao looks divine. I always cook rice separately fearing that i might make them mushy.. Do you have any tips on that?

Sharmi said...

yummy and simple pulao. delicious!

Saju said...

Thanks Asha
Thanks Richa, I used hot house tomatoes, I minced them completely
Suganya, I put in 1 and 1/2 cup to every cup of rice, the rice has been soaked for at least 1/2 hour, and completely drained.
ps mine go mushy sometimes too.
thanks sharmi

Roopa said...

Delicious looking pulao! i pressure cook at times.

Anonymous said...

This is comfort food for me!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I accidently came across your blog as I was looking for recipes from east africa. I was born in Dar es salaam (Tanzania). My parents reside in Uganda. We know lots of Ismaili's and your cooking just brought back some fond memories. Keep up the good work.

Neelam said...

Wow! lovely dish...muttar pulao is my favourite! Nice recipe.Thanks.

Srivalli said...

very lovely dish....

Srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

Saleem said...

Thanks Chachi! I'm a university student away from home, and it's so nice having your recipes so I can feel like I'm having a home cooked meal. Mutter Pilau is my favourite!!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget salt!!!

Zap said...

Chachi, thank you for this blog. I've cooked often from it without saying thanks! In the list of ingredients you have forgotten to add coriander, turmeric, salt and cooking oil. I just guessed at these. It was delicious! Thanks again!

Saju said...

thanks for letting me know, I have amended the ingredients.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.